Experienced Fresno Attorney Pursues Fair Child Custody Arrangements
California family lawyer works to establish a supportive environment for children
Young children should be everyone’s top priority when parents end their relationship. With a main office in Fresno, Gates Law Group, A Professional Corporation provides comprehensive legal service to clients throughout California in divorce proceedings and other legal matters involving child custody and visitation. There are two types of custody in California: legal custody, which refers to the authority to make decisions for the children, and physical custody, which addresses where the child will live. State law favors joint arrangements where parents share responsibilities, but sole custody will be awarded if the court feels it is in the child’s best interests. No matter what particular circumstances exist, our firm is dedicated to establishing arrangements that give young people the best chance to thrive in a new environment.
Reputable firm helps parents maintain strong bonds with sons and daughters
Just as each child is unique, so is each child custody case. Our family law firm gives individualized attention to every client going through a divorce with their co-parent. In a consultation, we’ll detail how your case is impacted by California laws relating to:
- Custody factors — When parents can’t work things out, courts determine custody awards based on the best interests of the children. The judge considers several factors, such as school and community involvement, wishes of the child, past neglect, and parents’ income.
- Child support — A formula is usually employed to determine child support obligations. Each parent’s income, time schedule and prior child support obligations are important factors. We review the relevant facts in detail to make sure that accurate information is used.
- Parent and grandparent visitation — Parents who are not given legal custody should have the ability to see their sons and daughters frequently. By creating detailed plans that create specific visitation rights, our firm minimizes the possibility of disputes and confusion. In certain situations, we handle cases where grandparents seek to establish the legal right to visit with their grandchildren.
- Relocation and modification — After divorces are final, the lives of parents and children can go through significant changes that require adjustments to custody and visitation orders. If you’re facing a potential relocation or believe that some other modification is necessary, we’ll advise you of the pertinent standards.
- Stepchild adoption — Complications can arise if you attempt to adopt a stepchild after divorce and remarriage. We can guide you through the steps that are needed to establish a legal parental relationship.
Our ability to find creative solutions to the most challenging problems will maximize the likelihood of a result that maintains strong parent-child bonds.
Contact a trustworthy California child custody attorney for a consultation
Gates Law Group, A Professional Corporation advises clients on child custody issues and other family law concerns in California. Please call 559-432-9944 or contact us online to schedule a consultation at our Fresno headquarters or one of our other locations in Paso Robles and Visalia.