Fresno Discrimination Attorney Provides Effective Representation
California firm handles cases involving allegations of mistreatment and harassment
At Gates Law Group, A Professional Corporation, experienced employment law attorney Glen Gates provides comprehensive legal counsel to companies and workers in discrimination matters. From our locations in Fresno, Paso Robles and Visalia, we assist parties in litigation as well as claims before the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and California Civil Rights Department.
Types of discrimination banned under federal and state law
Federal law prohibits discrimination based on various personal characteristics, and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) adds protection for additional groups. Some of the most common types of job bias include mistreatment based on the following:
- Race, color and national origin — Most people understand that companies cannot make job decisions based on an individual’s race, color or ethnic background. However, it’s important to understand that even some workplace policies that don’t specifically mention race could still violate the law. For example, California’s CROWN Act bars grooming rules that would restrict some employees from wearing natural hair styles.
- Religion — The First Amendment guarantees the right to practice one’s chosen faith. This type of discrimination could involve the refusal to hire people of a certain religion, demeaning comments or rules that prevent someone from participating in faith-based observances.
- Sex and gender — A discrimination claim could arise from differential treatment based on sex, gender identity, pregnancy status, gender expression, childbirth or the need to breastfeed. Specific types of unlawful conduct can include the posting of explicit images, offensive comments, unwanted physical contact and the pressuring of subordinates into providing sexual attention.
- Marital status and sexual orientation — Traditionally, many employers used marital status and sexual orientation to deny opportunities to qualified workers. Questions about relationships that might sound like casual conversation could be an indication that a company is engaging in improper discrimination.
- Age — Someone who is 40 or older can seek legal relief if they believe they suffered an adverse job action due to their age. In some cases, businesses will offer a nondiscriminatory reason for what they did, but investigation might be required to determine the employer’s true motivation.
- Disability — Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California law, companies must make reasonable accommodations so that workers who can still perform their job duties have the opportunity to do so. This protection covers people with physical and mental conditions that limit a major life activity, including serious illnesses such as cancer and HIV.
Glen Gates has detailed knowledge of the administrative decisions and court decisions in this area, so he can provide an informed assessment about whether a potential claim has legal merit.
Adverse job actions that can constitute unlawful discrimination
Discrimination takes many forms, and both workers and employers face challenges when trying to make an effective case. Workers must prove that the action taken against them stemmed from unlawful bias rather than other factors. On the other hand, businesses might have to overcome the negative stigma associated with discrimination claims. Our firm handles a full range of employment law claims, including matters where the allegations involve:
- Improper hiring and promotion practices
- Pay discrepancies
- Hostile work environment
- Sexual harassment
- Biased assignment of duties
- Retaliation for reporting workplace discrimination
- Wrongful termination
Whatever your situation entails, we’ll give you an honest, knowledgeable assessment of the pertinent legal issues and strong advocacy in support of the result you seek.
Contact a California employment lawyer for a consultation regarding a discrimination claim
Gates Law Group, A Professional Corporation handles employment discrimination cases on behalf of California workers and businesses. Our main office is in Fresno and we also have locations in Paso Robles and Visalia. Please call 559-432-9944 or contact us online to make an appointment.